Awards for Excellence
The NC State University Awards for Excellence is the most prestigious honor bestowed upon non-faculty employees, recognizing the notable contributions that are above and beyond an employee’s normal job responsibility. These meritorious achievements or accomplishments should be so singularly outstanding that special recognition is justified. Nominees should demonstrate excellence in their division or department, the NC State campus community, the State of North Carolina, or the lives of others.
- Active SHRA and most EHRA employees are eligible to be nominated. SAAO Tier II employees are newly eligible this year, with the exception of Department Heads, who remain ineligible. SAAO Tier I employees, Faculty, and Temporary employees also remain ineligible.
- Employees must work at least 30 hours per week (.075 FTE).
- Nominations require the approval of the nominee’s manager.
- Nominees with any pending or documented disciplinary actions against them within the preceding 18 months will be disqualified.
- Employees may not nominate themselves for an award.
Nominations must be made in only one of the following award categories:
- Customer Service: This category recognizes a candidate who provides exceptional service and creates a positive customer experience which continuously exceeds expectations and improves customer experiences.
- Efficiency and Innovation:This category recognizes a candidate who has made a significant contribution in improving the effectiveness of a service or program resulting in new or improved innovations, efficiencies, or cost-savings.
- Human Relations: This category recognizes a candidate who has made an outstanding contribution toward enhancing the quality or morale of the workplace or toward enhancing the public image of a department or division, NC State University, or state government.
- Outstanding State Government Service: This category recognizes a candidate who demonstrates an unselfish devotion to duty far and above the normal requirements and contributes significantly to the advancement of state service to the citizens of North Carolina.
- Public Service:This category recognizes a candidate who has made an outstanding contribution through volunteerism or through implementing community or public service projects.
- Heroism: This category recognizes a candidate who demonstrates outstanding judgment or courage in an emergency or who displays heroic actions to prevent or minimize physical injury or the loss of life or property.
- Spirit of North Carolina: This category recognizes a candidate who exemplifies the state motto “To be, rather than to seem” by mentoring others in the pursuit of excellence and serving as an ambassador for the State of North Carolina. This award category is reserved for exceptional circumstances and for accomplishments and achievements of the highest caliber.
- Nominations are submitted electronically at: go.ncsu.edu/dasa-award-for-excellence
- Paper forms or email nominations will not be accepted, the online form must be used.
- Laura deFreitas in DASA-HR will serve as the awards coordinator and receive all nominations from University HR.
- A committee is convened to review all eligible submissions and determine award winners. Committee members will be made up of former winners and the awards coordinator.
- There will be one EHRA award winner and two SHRA award winners for the division.