Interview Questions: Diversity and Inclusion
When planning interview questions, search committees should always include questions around diversity for the purpose of seeking cultural competence and equity in our staff and faculty.
A list of sample questions for search committees to consider is listed here. Please contact your DASA HR Partner for guidance.
- Explain how diversity has played a role in your career and contributed to who you are today.
- What is your vision of a university that fully embraces diversity and inclusion?
- What does it mean to have a commitment to diversity and inclusion and how would you apply your commitment in DASA?
- What role has diversity played in shaping your teaching/counseling/advising styles?
- As a higher education professional, what work have you done in promoting diversity and inclusion?
- How have you handled situations where a colleague was not accepting of someone else’s diversity?
- What have you done to further your knowledge about diversity and inclusion? How have you included diversity in your professional development? How have you demonstrated what you have learned?
- How would you work to create a campus environment that is welcoming and inclusive?
- What does it mean to have a commitment to diversity? How have you demonstrated that commitment?
- When interacting with a person from a different culture than your own, how do you ensure that communication is effective?
- What opportunities have you had working and collaborating in diverse, multicultural, and inclusive settings?