Mileage, Vehicles and Insurance
- Roundtrip to/from RDU cannot exceed 30 miles regardless of whether you leave from work or home.
- University employees traveling on business, whether in or out of state shall
- Maximize the utilization of university-owned vehicles
- Make use of the State Term Contracts for short-term rentals – These contracts should be used for all rental cars.
- Reimburse for use of personal vehicle on a limited basis
The preference is for university employees to use a state vehicle when traveling for business. If a personal vehicle is used, the employee will be reimbursed for mileage at the rate of 56 cents per mile.
- If you prefer to use your personal vehicle instead of a State vehicle when traveling on state business be aware that in case of an accident the insurance you carry on your personal car would be considered the primary carrier for the claim.
- When renting a vehicle one of the state-contracted rental companies should be used and economy or midsize are the standard allowable sizes.
- If renting a vehicle that costs over $40,000 be sure to review the additional requirements for insurance on the Insurance and Risk Management website.