DASA Tech’s goal is to ensure that departments and staff in DASA have the technology resources they need to function efficiently and effectively. We really want you to have what you need! Towards that end, DASA Tech manages all technology purchasing for the Division of Academic and Student Affairs and coordinates closely with the DASA Finance team. This includes:
- Hardware (including but not limited to computers, monitors, tablets, mobile phones, mounted displays, servers, printers and toner and ink, scanners, plotters, telephones, cases, cables, cable adapters, cameras, projectors, speakers, microphones, etc.)
- Software (including but not limited to operating systems, productivity suites such as Microsoft Office, design applications such as Adobe Creative Cloud products, special applications for specific department needs, university brand fonts, etc.)
- Services (including but not limited to Wolf Copy and off-campus printing/copying contracts, telephony and other ComTech services, hardware installations, cloud-based “software as a service” applications, cellular services, ClassTech services, any services related to facility modifications and new construction, etc.)
This protocol ensures that the items purchased:
- Will be purchased at the lowest possible price by
- using existing higher education, state government, UNC system and university contracts and licensing agreements
- when possible, partnering with other units with similar needs for lower pricing
- Will be properly configured by DASA Tech for use by the department
- Will be entered into DASA Tech’s asset management system, which is used both for daily support and strategic technology planning and budgeting
- Will work within the university’s technical environment
- Are compliant with state, UNC System, and university technology purchasing protocols (approved vendors, state and system contracts, etc)
- Are compliant with the university’s data security standards
- Are compliant with the university’s accessibility standards
- All DASA staff and departments are expected to follow the protocols below for technology purchasing.
- DASA Finance reviews all Marketplace and PCard purchases and will notify the unit director and DASA Tech of any purchases that do not follow this protocol.
- The use of Purchase Card for any technology purchase that does not follow these protocols may result in the suspension in the use of the PCard.
- In theory, if DASA Tech is doing a good job reaching out to the department, and if the department is doing a good job of keeping DASA Tech in the loop regarding their needs, then compliance will take care of itself.
Please consult with your strategic partner about which solutions will best fit your needs. DASA Tech maintains an inventory of loaner equipment which may give you an opportunity to test out different products.
For small standard items such as keyboards, mice, tablet cases, toner and ink, cable adapters, etc, send your request to email@example.com; be sure to include a Project ID so we know what account to charge.
Please consult with your strategic partner about which solutions will best fit your needs. There may already be enterprise-level pricing available; if not, we will help research available options and make recommendations.
- Adobe Creative Cloud and other titles can be ordered by completing this form.
- University brand fonts can be requested by reviewing this information and completing the form.
- Any software for which there is not already a state, system, or university contract must be reviewed by OIT for both accessibility and data security compliance. DASA Tech facilitates this process with OIT.
- The University Purchasing Office will not approve software purchases of $5,000 or more until the accessibility and security review is approved.
Please consult with your strategic partner about which solutions will best fit your needs.
- DASA Tech maintains a Verizon contract for all cellular services. If you need a device with cellular service, please discuss with your strategic partner. The use of cellular services requires compliance with the Mobile Communication Device policy.
- DASA Tech serves as the primary point of contact with WolfCopy (and outside vendors who provide similar services), and will work with you to determine the best combination of options for your department.
- DASA Tech serves as the primary contact for ComTech; this includes phone and business communications, networking, web conferencing, and collaboration.
- DASA Tech serves as the primary contact for ClassTech, as well as approved vendors (Clark-Powell, Whitlock, and others) for technology installations related to classrooms and conference rooms.
- DASA Tech works closely with DASA Facilities and Maintenance on the technical aspect of all renovations and new construction.
All contracts for hardware, software or services must follow this protocol. This includes renewal of contracts as well; sometimes the terms of the contract, or the services have changed; we also have many systems that require the OIT review of accessibility and data security.
- Department consults with the strategic partner as early as possible to discuss the needs of the department.
- Once a product is selected, the department submits a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For software purchases, DASA Tech launches the OIT review process; if the unit is fairly certain that the product will be purchased, this can be started early.
- For purchases $5,000 and over:
- DASA Tech will review the contract and provide feedback to the department (and Purchasing and Legal as needed) regarding the terms.
- Department submits the DASA Large Purchase Requisition Request to DASA Finance.
- For software purchases, DASA Tech will forward the OIT approval to the department to include with other materials for the requisition.
- DASA Tech will be responsible for the “Contract Monitoring Checklist” provided by the Purchasing Office.
- For purchases under $5,000:
- DASA Tech will review the contract and provide feedback to the department regarding the terms.
- For software purchases, DASA Tech will forward the OIT approval to the department to include with other materials for the purchase.
- The department will complete the purchase
The protocol above for new contracts also applies to all contract renewals. Sometimes the terms of the contract, or the services have changed. DASA Tech can also take this opportunity to address features that are not meeting specifications. There are also many systems that require the OIT review of accessibility and data security.