Paid Administrative Leave
Permanent employees will use Wolftime for reporting Paid Administrative Leave (PAL). PAL is no longer available for temporary employees as of May 1
Paid Administrative Leave Provisions as of 6/1
New guidance was issued and is effective as of June 1, 2020 until revised or rescinded.
- Please visit University HR for more information.
- Paid Administrative Leave is now paid at two-thirds pay. See the chart below which reviews the types of leave available for COVID-19.
- Comparison of Leave Types Available for COVID-19
Paid Administrative Leave Provisions as of 5/9
New guidance was issued as of May 9, 2020 and is effective until further notice (REVISED as of 6/1/20, see above).
Mandatory and Nonmandatory permanent employees (EHRA and SHRA staff) are eligible for paid administrative leave for the period of time the are unable to work for one of the following reasons:
- Childcare or eldercare needs due to COVID-19-related facility closings. If more than one person in a household is a state employee, then the employees are expected to work with their supervisors to determine how to allocate paid administrative leave to avoid inappropriate overlap of leave usage.
- Sickness due to symptoms of a cold, flu, or COVID-19; or caring for a dependent with symptoms of a cold, flu, or COVID-19. All other absences will utilize regular forms of leave, such as sick, vacation, bonus leave or shared leave if shared leave has been previously approved.
- Cannot telework because an employee’s position and duties cannot be performed remotely, and reasonable alternative remote work is not feasible or productive.
For additional guidance, including special consideration for mandatory employees who are determined to be high risk for contracting COVID-19, please contact DASA Human Resources.
Paid Administrative Leave Provisions (4/1-5/8)
Guidance was been issued by the UNC System for Paid Administrative Leave for the period of April 1 to May 8, 2020. Leave-earning employees should submit Paid Administrative Leave in Wolftime.
Covered Mandatory and Nonmandatory Employees:
- Permanent employees, both EHRA and SHRA, exempt and non-exempt
- Post Doctoral Students
- Graduate Students
- Active Temporary Workers, covered through 4/30
- Active Student Workers (DASA hourly paid student workers do not need to complete the PAL form), covered through 4/30
Please contact your DASA HR Partner with questions.
Paid Administrative Leave (3/16-3/30)
Paid Administrative Leave was temporarily granted by the UNC System due to COVID-19 for the period of March 16 to March 31, 2020. This leave must be reported via the DASA Google Form. Please carefully review this information and contact your DASA HR Partner with questions.
For timekeeping purposes and tracking required by the UNC System, any DASA employee using Paid Administrative Leave (PAL) must complete the tracking form each day that paid administrative leave is requested. Supervisors may also submit the form on behalf of an employee.
Reasons for Using Paid Administrative Leave (PAL)
Paid Administrative Leave may only be used for the period of March 16 to March 31 for the following reasons:
- Childcare or eldercare needs due to COVID-19-related facility closings
- Sickness due to symptoms of a cold, flu or COVID-19
- Caring for a dependent with symptoms of a cold, flu or COVID-19
- Employee is high risk for COVID-19 infection
- Cannot work remotely because your position duties cannot be performed remotely and reasonable alternative work is not feasible or productive.
The following employees are eligible to use paid administrative leave for the reasons outlined above and are required to report any use of PAL via the form:
- Permanent employees (full-time and part-time)
- Temporary employees
- Student workers/work-study students
- Graduate student workers